9/01/2004

What a flop.

*Well, I was going to set the world ablaze with comics reviewing excellence tonight, but most of my shop’s shipment was mistakenly sent back in time to Ancient Egypt, where the latest issue of “Phantom Jack” has apparently inspired a new religion. And the Sphinx’s head has been replaced with Gambit’s in honor of his new series. I was assured that the situation will soon be rectified, with minimal damage to the space-time continuum; you might notice a few mild differences in the present day, like shirts talking or the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away, but it’s a small price to pay for me eventually getting to read the new “Street Angel”.

On the other hand, I’ll also have to contend with the siren song of “Hulk and Thing: Hard Knocks”…

*I was reading d. emerson eddy’s recent column at the Galaxy, and a thought sparked inside me (I know, rare occurrence). The column is about how to stop being a ‘collector’ and start being a ‘reader,’ and it’s plainly aimed at hardcore superhero zombies. Some of it’s pretty solid advice for any comics reader, like becoming less forgiving with under-performing books (don’t be afraid to drop, I totally agree). But what really got me was the suggestion that buying ten titles a week is ‘too much.’ The first thought in my head was ‘Well, what if it’s a really strong week?’ But then I thought more and more, and honestly I can’t remember a week where I bought more than ten new items from the store. I’ve never seen that strong a week, or at least I can’t remember one. Curious. Has anyone out there reached that magic number of 10 new books in one week?

I’m not quite as taken with “Forlorn Funnies” though. Now I haven’t read “Mother, Come Home” (that’s worth 20 Team Comix lashings right there), so I’ve only seen issues #1 and 5 of Forlorn. I really liked the former, but the latter was a pretty mixed bag, with that robot story in particular doing nothing for me, and a fair amount of the humor material feeling warmed-over. I will be getting to “Mother” soon enough, so maybe that’ll get my attention…