7/09/2009

The links and the bullets.

*God, when was the last time I did a post like this?

*Addendum Dept: I should have got this on my own, I really should have, but... well, here's the good Dr. Geoff Klock on the not-very-secret basis of Kyle Baker's "we flap" narration in yesterday's Wednesday Comics #1. Yep:



On the plus side, I'm now all the more convinced Baker is going somewhere less-than-straightforward with his serial, even if it might be toward basically the same joke as Special Forces. Or the whole thing might vanish next issue. More readers to enjoy it in a DC issue #1 anyway! Hawkman!

Geoff's whole post is worth reading, btw; it's one of the only middling-to-negative reviews of the comic I've seen set down in a formal manner, though I think it eloquently captures a lot of qualms I've seen scattered around on message boards and the like. I'm probably more inclined toward leeway, given that it's only issue #1 right now, but Geoff does leave the possibility of rapid evolution open too. Plus: thoughts on the gentle breeze of dissatisfaction drifting through Batman and Robin thus far. Go on.

*Hmm, you should probably just presume none of my links are safe for work from here downward.

*Home Video Dept: I've seen this in a few places, not the least of which was before the internet presence of Chris Mautner, but in case you haven't heard: Kino is publishing a R1 dvd compilation of Osamu Tezuka's short animations, The Astonishing Work of Tezuka Osamu, for a July 28 release. It's 13 works, 1962-88, some of which weren't actually directed by Tezuka -- Tales of the Street Corner, for example, was helmed by Eiichi Yamamoto, soon-to-be Star Blazers writer and Tezuka's co-director on Cleopatra: Queen of Sex -- but nonetheless remained redolent with the man's vision. A bonus 1986 interview with Tezuka will be included.



Granted, you've probably seen most of this stuff online -- iTunes has stocked Tezuka stuff for months now -- but I'm not objecting to a nice, easy home video collection. Legend of the Forest in particular is a grabber, an eco-fable that traces the history of world animation through its shifting visual style (with key animation by Madhouse mainstay Yoshiaki Kawajiri, among others).

Now if only we could get some Mushi Pro features around here...

Labels: