4/16/2007

I only wish I had more time in my day. That really is sincere. There's too much more I could do.

*More productive this time around...

LAST WEEK'S REVIEWS:

MOME Vol. 7 (Spring 2007)

Golgo 13 Vol. 8 (of 13): Gravestone in Sicily

and a really pretty long review of the Death Proof segment of the film Grindhouse

*All signs pointed to the new issue of The Comics Journal being out this week, but Diamond seems to have made a point of putting it on next week's list. Still, if you happen to see it this week, you'll be treated once again to my glowing presence on your retailer's shelves, and indeed your very home. Stuff of life.

THIS WEEK IN COMICS!

Alias the Cat: New from Pantheon, it's the collected edition of Kim Deitch's The Stuff of Dreams!, which was a three-issue miniseries from Fantagraphics a little while back. That alone should be enough to propel you into stores, but let me also say that this material is maybe Deitch's most focused work yet, a wonderful (if impossible to synopsize) tall tale about collecting and filmmaking and history and love and all the good things, structured as an autobiographical comic and loaded with enough panache that you'll want to believe it's all true. If you like last year's Shadowland collection, do not hesitate to pick this one up.

The Salon: Wow! Another long-awaited project rolls in, as Nick Bertozzi's fantastical graphic novel, concerning murders and visions among Paris' famed modernist painters, finally arrives from Griffin. Preview here. Forever has finally arrived.

Golgo 13 Vol. 8 (of 13): Just call it Psychic Murder Sex. Now in comics stores, review here.

The Drifting Classroom Vol. 5 (of 11): Meanwhile, the photogenic Kazuo Umezu presents another big installment of who even knows what at this point. I looked to see if Naoki Urasawa’s Monster was also out this week, since most of these books travel in packs, but it’s not on Diamond’s list.

Runaway Comic #3: Hmm, I think this is the new issue of Mark Martin's series with Fantagraphics. If so, you should read it because it's funny.

Ramayan 3392 AD #8: Yep, I'm still liking this.

Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor #7 (of 8): I forgot this didn't end.

The Spirit #5: Not that I even need to mention it, but Dave Stewart’s colors on this book are really excellent.

Army@Love #2: I’ve decided the title should be one word, but now it keeps getting screwed up as a hyperlink! Damn it Rick Veitch, why are you upsetting the serenity of my morning?!

Flight Vol. 1 & Flight Vol. 2: I’ve seen these new printings of Flight in bookstores for a little while already, but yeah - the new Ballantine editions of Flight are now out in the Direct Market. They look nice, although I don’t believe there’s any differences between editions beyond cover dress (and bookstore availability, I’ll presume).

52 #50 (of 52) & World War III Part 1-4 (of 4): So, in case all of that bold text looks like nonsense, let me remind you that this is the week where 52 temporarily stretches itself into five books instead of one for the occasion of World War III, which we are assured is a different World War III from the one Grant Morrison wrote back in JLA, although Grant Morrison is also partially writing this one. The ‘main’ 52 book is by the usual suspects, while the four back-up books feature writing by Keith Champagne and John Ostrander (two issues each). Buckle yourself in for One Year Later connection galore and a general plot thread-tying extravaganza, if this goes the way I’m expecting it to.

Labels: