2/05/2007

I know, I know... it's winter.

*Well, now that the temperature hasn't ascended above 10 Fahrenheit for the last day or so, complete with wind chills of 10 or so below, I think I've finally discovered the limits of my apartment's heating system! What a breakthrough.

LAST WEEK'S REVIEWS:

review assortment (with The Vault of Michael Allred #4 and Usagi Yojimbo #100)

Garth Ennis' Chronicles of Wormwood #1 (of 6)

The End #1 (Anders Nilsen's Ignatz series debuts - it's good)

Satsuma Gishiden Vol. 1 (of 5)

*Nothing can quite warm the cockles of my heart like -

THIS WEEK IN COMICS!

Regards from Serbia: A new 288-page collection of prose and comics works by Serbian cartoonist Aleksandar Zograf, culled from a decade of life during wartime. Read Tom Spurgeon’s interview with him, and I’ll try to have a review up tomorrow, god willing.

Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil #1 (of 4): I’ve been told by someone who’s already read this (and whose opinions I trust) that this is the first really great superhero book to start in 2007. Phrases like ‘effortless command of comics storytelling’ and ‘trust in wordlessness’ were bandied about for this first extended comics project by writer/artist Jeff Smith since the completion of Bone, and I suspect an awful lot of people will be interested in the result, $5.99 Prestige Format cover price or not. Here’s a preview, setting up Smith’s origin recap. You know I’ll be there.

Eden: It’s an Endless World! Vol. 6: Just in case you happened to like Tanpenshu Vol. 1 the other week, here’s more Hiroki Endo for ya. Dark Horse actually has a crapload of manga this week, including both Mail Vol. 2 and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Vol. 2 from artist Housui Yamazaki (the latter with writer Eiji Ohtsuka), plus new volumes of Berserk, Old Boy, and the reconfigured Oh My Goddess!

Batman: Year One Deluxe Edition: Worth noting if only for the fact that it’s been promoted in DC books for the last month or so, yet never quite manages to show up on the shelves. It’s basically a softcover edition of DC’s semi-recent deluxe collection of the Frank Miller/David Mazucchelli classic, which means Mazucchelli’s new comics-format afterward is probably in there too, along with assorted production bonuses. But yes, it’s apparently showing up. In completely unrelated news, I think a new edition of Black Kiss is also due this week.

The Midnighter #4: Just over two years ago, I wrote a very silly column (back when I was writing a weekly column in addition to everything else) about late comics. In it, among other terrible jokes (all caps does not equal instant humor, in retrospect) I made a prediction about All Star Superman issues #7-8 requiring fill-in art by Peter Snejbjerg. I don’t recall why I chose Snejbjerg in particular. Today, I think by far the funniest thing related to that column is that All Star Superman #7 is still not out for me to definitively gauge whether my prediction was right or wrong, although I do find it interesting that on this semi-anniversary of my writing, Peter Snejbjerg is indeed filling in for penciller Chris Sprouse on this Garth Ennis-written series. I think Sprouse is supposed to be back next issue, though then Glenn Fabry is on for #6.

Fell #7: In which the much-liked, intermittently-released Slimline series returns for a new issue.

52 #40 (of 52): Christ, this is up to 40 already?

The Punisher MAX #44: Shootings and gender confusion.

Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears #1 (of 6): I’ll be upfront folks - I didn’t even make it past issue #1 of the last Garth Ennis/Clayton Crain Ghost Rider miniseries, and I hadn’t the slightest idea there was going to be a sequel by the same creative team until I saw it listed this morning. But we got movies coming up, and we need product! This one’s a western, concerning the Ghost Rider of the Civil War era. North and South, not Iron Man and Cap.

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1 (of 7): Aw, and I was sure stores were opening at midnight tonight for the release of Jonathan Lethem’s Omega the Unknown. In case there’s any lingering confusion over who’s doing what in this ultra-high profile kickoff miniseries in a series of miniseries, Marvel’s solicitation actually has a pretty decent summary up. Scripted by Peter David from an adaptation by Robin Furth, this particular miniseries will actually re-present material from Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series of prose books for the purposes of introduction, from the points of view of different characters than focused on in the prose. It doesn’t really matter to me, who’s never read any of this stuff before. Art by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove, and yes, they are apparently going to be co-credited with simply ‘art’ - Isanove is working right from Lee’s pencils, and the resulting look is something different than anything I’ve seen from Lee when coupled with any of his regular colorists. Be there in the black of night (and the polar winds), or be there tomorrow - there’s gonna be lots of copies shipping.