12/07/2006

BURN IN COMICS, NEW HELL. (the part that is the last)

*Well everyone, it was a hard day yesterday BURNING new comics to the point of DESTRUCTION, but now that the whole of the industry is revolutionized I can finally rest. Which means I have to go pick my car up this morning and pay people money, but at least I can stop taking the bus everywhere. The bus actually has its good points: I don't have to think about anything, I can watch the sun rise over rolling fields of crop and bounty, sometimes the driver is really aggressive and upsets others (which makes me nervously titter in the direction of my tie), I get to read the newspaper over the shoulder of the person in front of me, I don't have to defrost anything or gas anything up.

But what a hellish fucking week this was. Ugh. Holiday fucking rush. The only comic I even got around to reading was Green Tea (Glenn Ganges Remix) in the new D&Q Kevin Huizenga compilation Curses, which is the only story in there that I haven't read yet. It's interesting, though not quite as much so as Huizenga's other works; it's actually an adaptation of a prose story by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, except the first 1/3 of it's about Huizenga's signature Glenn Ganges character researching the topic of visions and going without sleep, encountering strange sights that parallel the Victorian Era action of the story proper, which Glen encounters in his research. There's some nice exploitation of Le Fanu's epistolary structure (the whole thing being set up as correspondence, like the novel Dracula, which Le Fanu's works influenced), with Glenn reading letters that lead into flashbacks of recurring Le Fanu narrator Dr. Heselius, who himself is essentially narrating a flashback to his encounters with a haunted rector.

There's a lot of thematic connection to Huizenga's other stuff; concerns of religion, a yen for studying and conveying information, a whiff of magical realism to everything, the effect of the concious mind on one's subjective world experience - but it's also set here toward telling this wordy, kind of stiff psychological horror/ghost story. It's maybe something more to be appreciated for its effort than entirely enjoyed, though Huizenga's relation of everything to Glenn's modern world does tease out the solitary panic of subtly losing one's shit in front of the world, with no explanations offered. If you haven't read many of these stories, I of course highly recommend Curses, as the stuff in there only gets better...